AlpineDave

AlpineDave
Climbing

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Holy crap thats awesome

So this is my first post, blogging about all things AlpineDave most likely something to do about climbing a super hard 5.11d, A6, V WI5, M10 alpine route in some of the most remote mountains of the world.  No I am not Ueli Steck, actually I am just beginning into the world of alpinism and my hardest accomplishment was probably my first send of a 5.11- at edgeworks gym in WA.  Being a beginner, I am constantly learning new things from my mistakes, reading every piece of climbing literature known to man, and most importantly getting out there and learning from other people who have a wealth of knowledge to share.  I figured, I should chronicle my adventures (mishaps) for others to read.  That and I am too lazy to post my trip reports' pictures on cascadeclimbers.com, so this blog will serve that purpose for me, ha!

For those who are seeking to get into climbing I do have some resources for you!

www.cascadeclimbers.com - forum to those dedicated to climbing in the great PNW
http://www.mountainguide.com/climbingtools/Mike_Barter_.html - great intro videos practicing some of the techniques you'll need for climbing (DISCLAIMER - If you don't know what your doing, don't just learn from a video, hire a guide! or go out and learn from someone with experience!)
www.supertopo.com - great gear reviews and guidebooks

READ!
Freedom of the Hills - it's the climbers bible, seriously
Alpine Climbing: Taking your skills higher - Part of the mountaineer series of books

HIRE A GUIDE!!

Seriously, I have found that the combination of reading and hiring a guide is probably the most effective way of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment